|Thirteen Concerts Julie has been to
This kind of follows on from yesterday’s blog when I mentioned the group Madness in passing, so I thought lets go for Thirteen concerts I have been to. I won’t know till I get to the end if I have 13 to mention; this is not planned in advance!
- My first ever concert was to see Gary Glitter and the Glitter Band. This was glam rock at its finest, and involved a lot of stomping around the stage and pretty heavy beats. The glitter band were pretty good looking if I remember rightly, Gary was, well Gary with big hair and shirt undone to the waist. Sadly, it turns out Gary was really bald and wearing a wig and also that he was a paedophile. Luckily I never was in love with him, and at 11 never got anywhere near him. The concert was great though!
- When I was first going out with my hubby he took me on a youth group trip to see Cliff Richard. I wasn’t ever into gospel music in a big way, but I liked Cliff, and so was happy to go along. Hubby still maintains to this day that he only ever went to church so he could go to Friday youth group where table tennis was played. But who knows?
- When we were first married we got the chance to go to a Queen concert at Knebworth Park. This was my first trip to such a massive venue, with something like 100,000 people packed in to this stately house grounds. We lived near by and so walked home after! Queen were fantastic, and we also saw Status Quo who hubby was keen on.
- On Christmas Eve one year (probably around 1982-3) we saw Toyah Wilcox in concert. I most remember that she ran around in a short skirt and long boots, and had longish straight hair. She spoke (and sang) with a lisp. She does TV now, looks like from the link that she still sings and tours.
- Whitney Houston was a fantastic singer in the 80′s, a real diva, we saw her at Wembley Arena. It is so sad that she has become such a shadow of her former self. Drugs really do damage lives!
- M People with lead singer Heather Small were one of our favorite groups in the 1990′s. Heather has a strong and distinctive voice which I really love.
- Simply Red (lead singer Mick Hucknell) again at Wembley Arena were one of those groups producing music prolifically throughout the 90s. Mick is not much to look at but he has a great voice.
- In 1987 we went to Wembley Stadium to see Madonna. What a performer she was (and probably still is). She was into wearing those weird bra things back then!
- The Beautiful South are still one of my favorite bands. We saw them at Brixton Academy which is a small venue and where you can see the group without the need for a big screen!
- As mentioned at the top of the list we saw Madness a couple of Christmases ago at a venue similar to Brixton. It was a real fun way to start the festive season with plenty of mad dancing!
- 3 summers ago we saw Robbie Williams at Knebworth. Hubby decided we should park about 3 miles away, much to the disgust of my sister in law. It was a hot afternoon / evening and was just the most fantastic concert. My favorite song Angels had me feeling all goose bumpy – the best yet.
- Dina Carroll was a great female vocalist we saw in around 1994/5. Hubby took me away to Bournemouth for the weekend and we saw her there. It was the first time I had left teen son who was about 3 or 4 for more than one night as we were away for two. Great memories.
- Last but by no means least, we saw Leo Sayer at the London Palladium, can’t remember when, but it was a long time ago. He was a singer in the 70s and someone I really liked for his great ballads. One of his songs – when I need you – was played at our wedding. He has recently made something of a come back.
Wow made it to 13 after all!!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. ItÂs easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants